Chlorine has a strong fragrance and is a corrosive
The gas is used, among other purposes, for the purification of water
and in the chemical industry.
Chlorine is easily absorbed by most materials, which may make
respitory systems inappropriate in terms of chlorine detection.
For calibration purposes, glass vials are to be preferred.
Chlorine is irritating to eyes and mucous membranes.
Odour threshold is of 0.02 ppm
Level limit value (Long-term Exposure Limit) = 0.5 ppm (flashlight)
Maximum value (Short Term Exposure Limit) = 1.5 ppm
(gas alarm sign)
Alarm is set at these levels with level limit value as the first
alarm threshold and the maximum value as the second alarm limit.
Severe damages can occur when the concentration begins to move close
to 100 ppm, although the exposure time is relatively short.
Concentrations only slightly higher can be directly fatal.
It is important to know that the symptoms may come much later.
Therefore it is important to seek medical attention immediately
after having inhaled chlorine.
Chlorine is a heavy gas, ie. it has a higher density than air.
This means that the detectors in most cases should be positioned low
and at the likely leakage points.
The gas can accumulate in low-lying areas where therefore high
concentrations can occur.
Chlorine supports, like oxygen, combustion and can react violently
with certain substances.
With other substances it can form explosive gases, such as with
Chlorine is a heavy greenish/yellow gas which is highly toxic.
Chlorine smells like a swimming pool and in the household it is used
The smell is unmistakable.
Chlorine is highly toxic and attacks the mucous membranes and
You can smell it long before it reaches dangerous levels.